The district’s annual Heritage Week has grown to become the Christchurch Heritage Festival.
With more than 80 heritage events to choose from in Christchurch, Banks Peninsula and Selwyn over three weeks in October, there’s something for all ages to enjoy.
Here in Ōtautahi Christchurch and Te Pātaka o Rākaihautū Banks Peninsula we have many stories, from Ngāi Tahu, the European settlers, Pasifika and people of other ethnic and cultural backgrounds who have made this place home.
The Beca Christchurch Heritage Festival 2019 is an opportunity to share the stories of the past that link us to this place. He tātai muka, he tātai tangata – weave together the strands, weave together the people.
An Anglican perspective
We have gone through the events and have created a list of events that might be of special interest to Anglicans and include this below.
- https://www.ccc.govt.nz/news-and-events/whats-on/show/3036 Spirited Cemetery Tours – St Paul’s Anglican Cemetery – find Sir Charles Upham
- https://www.ccc.govt.nz/news-and-events/whats-on/show/2991 Historic Akaroa Cemetery Tours – Join a guided walk through the historic Catholic, Dissenter and Anglican Cemeteries of Akaroa.
- https://www.ccc.govt.nz/news-and-events/whats-on/show/3088 The Rose Historic Chapel Trust invites you to enjoy the chapel and grounds, and listen to a talk by trustee Susan Harding.
- https://www.ccc.govt.nz/news-and-events/whats-on/show/3051 St Paul’s Open Day and Cemetery Tours Visit St Paul’s Church to find your Papanui ancestors.
- https://www.ccc.govt.nz/news-and-events/whats-on/show/3014 An opportunity for children aged 5 to 10 to discover the story behind it and make a Christ Church Cathedral rose window.
- https://www.ccc.govt.nz/news-and-events/whats-on/show/3055 St Michael’s And All Angels Parish and School Since 1850 Visit the church and see some special displays relating to the history of the parish and the school.
- https://www.ccc.govt.nz/news-and-events/whats-on/show/3045 Walk from historic St John’s Church and graveyard through the Hororata Domain and the main street of Hororata to the Hororata Museum and Cotons’ Cottage where refreshments are available.
- https://www.ccc.govt.nz/news-and-events/whats-on/show/3016 A special opportunity for small tours to see Christ Church Cathedral from inside the construction fences.
- https://www.ccc.govt.nz/news-and-events/whats-on/show/3039 Spirited Cemetery Tours – St Mary’s Anglican Cemetery Join local historian Richard Greenaway on a tour of the historic grave sites of Canterbury citizens.
- https://www.ccc.govt.nz/news-and-events/whats-on/show/3100 Join us at the Transitional Cathedral for Devonshire teas. You will be entertained by the Cathedral’s Director of Music and the choristers. Groups will be taken to visit The Christchurch Club for a tour of the Benjamin Mountfort tower.
- https://www.ccc.govt.nz/news-and-events/whats-on/show/3012 Christ Church Cathedral – stained glass and stonemason demonstrations. A rare opportunity to see what’s involved in the repair and restoration of some stone and stained-glass heritage items.
- https://www.ccc.govt.nz/news-and-events/whats-on/show/3031 Spirited Cemetery Tours – St Peter’s Anglican Churchyard
- https://www.ccc.govt.nz/news-and-events/whats-on/show/3086 Join local historian Richard Greenaway on a tour of the Burwood Anglican Cemetery, and see where the first president of the Women’s Christian Temperance Union is buried, and more.
- https://www.ccc.govt.nz/news-and-events/whats-on/show/3037 Join local historian Richard Greenaway on a tour of the Avonside Anglican Cemetery, and see where some of our founding fathers (and their wives) are buried including Superintendent Rolleston, museum founder Julius von Haast, and architect BW Mountfort.
- https://www.ccc.govt.nz/news-and-events/whats-on/show/2964 Fun for the family at the annual Hororata Parish Spring Fair.